Murphy Insurance Agency

History of Murphy Insurance

Lockport Insurance Agency The M.J. Murphy Agency was founded in 1925 by Matthew J. Murphy and operated the Insurance Agency out of his home located at 142 West Ave in Lockport, NY. After his sudden passing in 1951, Matthew Murphy's wife Mary F. Murphy took over the Insurance Agency and continued to run it out of her home at 117 Ontario St, Lockport NY. Donald Murphy, Matthew and Mary's son, joined the business in 1954.

The Business was moved 40 South Transit Rd until 1965, shortly after Mrs. Murphy's retirement. Murphy Insurance Agency was the moved to Lockview Plaza where it remained until 1979 when it moved into one of Lockport's oldest houses at 111 Pine St. The Insurance Agency has remained at this address to this day.

In 1984 Donald's daughter Mary Murphy joined the Insurance Agency and became the 3rd generation Murphy to be a part of the business. In 1998 Mary, Donald's daughter, purchased the Insurance Agency from her father upon his retirement.

Murphy Insurance Agency